2018/2019 Season Farm Crew Position
About the Position:
We are seeking to add 3 new team members for the 2018/2019 growing season. Team members will work alongside 5 other growers and under the supervision of the farmer.
The contract will begin in early October (September in some cases) and conclude at the end of June. During these months, you will be asked to do a variety of tasks including greenhouse work, field work, washing and packing, etc. Expect the work to be physically and mentally demanding. While you will not be pushed beyond your limits, the position will require a strong commitment on your behalf. Any outside engagements, or specific needs should be disclosed with your application.
- Direct Seeding
- Weed management
- Organic fertilization
- Processing (washing, packing, delivery)
- Farm maintenance
- Irrigation management
- CSA Management
- The planting and care of greenhouse crops
- Experience in small scale intensive organic vegetable farming is a plus
- Ability to do physical work under varying weather conditions
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a larger team
- Attention to detail and pride in a job well done
- Good communication skills
- Good customer service skills
- A valid driver’s license is a plus
What We Can Offer:
- A solid foundation in the various skills involved in bio-intensive vegetable production
- A unique insight into to the challenges of starting a small scale diversified farming operation
- An introduction to regenerative agriculture and a permaculture driven approach to vegetable growing.
- Experience in both wholesale and direct marketing
- Communication and leadership skills
- Access to excess produce from the farm
- A nice farmer’s tan
Additional Job Details:
This is a full-time position, 5 days per week (40-45 hours). The 7:30am-4:30pm schedule (with a one hour unpaid lunch break). We work 5 days a week on a split schedule, either Monday to Friday or Tuesday through Saturday. Due to the unique obligations of farm life, workers will occasionally be asked to work some weekends on rotation with other members of the staff. The starting wage is $11 per hour. Applications are due by 8/15/18.